What is a remote light switch?
The Liftmaster 823 LM remote light switch offers a convenient way to control the lights in your home. It is compatible with up to 8 Security +2.0 remote controls and a combination of up to 8 My Q enabled garage door openers or Liftmaster internet gateway devices. As long as the light source is connected to the switch, you can control it with the same remote that you use for your garage door opener!
Modes of Operation
The remote light switch can be programmed to Security +2.0 remote controls, MyQ garage door openers, or Liftmaster internet gateway devices. Remote control operation allows you to activate the remote light switch from a remote control. Note: If your remote control is already programmed to you’re garage door opener, choose a different remote control button to program to the remote light switch. Garage door opener operation allows you to synchronize the remote light switch with your garage door opener light bulbs. The synchronization with the garage door opener lights is disabled if you manually turn the light switch on. The light switch must be off to synchronize the garage door opener with the light switch. Example: The garage door opener light bulbs are set to automatically turn off after 4 ½ minutes, the remote light switch will also turn off after 4 ½ minutes. Internet Gateway Operation allows you to activate the remote light switch from a web browser (requires the internet gateway accessory model 828LM).
Before you begin you need to remember these things. This device REQUIRES a ground; if a ground is not available, contact an electrician. If you are not experienced and familiar with electrical wiring and electrical codes, contact an electrician. Install in accordance with all national and local codes. Ensure the existing switch and light is working prior to installing the new switch.
- Disconnect power at the circuit breaker or fuse box BEFORE proceeding.
- Remove the wall plate and set aside for re-assembly.
Remove old wall switch:
- Remove switch from switch box.
- During removal, identify or label the load and line wires.-note typically a line wire is the incoming hot wire from the circuit breaker. The load wire is the wire supplying power between the switch and the light.
- Keep all lead wires separated from line wires.
Install new switch:
- Identify the antenna routing.
- Connect the wires-note if you’re wiring includes a neutral wire this wire is not required, combine neutral wires and cap with wire nut.
- Green wire to ground.
Connect the green wire on the new switch to the exposed copper ground, green wire, or to the ground connection within metal switch box.
- Red wire to load.
- Black wire to line.
- Secure connections with a wire nut and wrap each wire nut with electrical tape. (Note turn all wire nuts clockwise, making sure the bare wires are covered. Tug on each wire nut to make sure the connections are good).
- Carefully pack the wiring back into switch box. Make sure the wires are not pinched or strained. Make sure the antenna is hanging straight down between the switch box and the drywall.
- Fasten the remote light switch to the switch box with the screws.
- Fasten the wall plate securely over the switch box with the original screws from the wall plate.
You can also test it by:
- Turning on the power to circuit at fuse box or circuit breaker.
- Test the light switch, manually press the light switch to ensure that the light is functioning.
You will see that the LED has stopped flashing about 10 minutes and then you can begin to proceed with programming. All you have to do is lift the cover on the remote light switch to access the “LEARN” button, then press and hold the remote control button OR press and release the Learn button on the garage door opener OR if you have a gateway you can go online and it will tell you how. Then all you have to do is press and release the “LEARN” button. Both the LED on the remote light switch and the light will flash once indicating the programming is complete. By following these simple steps it’s easy to see that this product will be very convenient in your everyday life and you can purchase them in our showroom in Plano.