There are three types of “do-ers” when it comes to projects around the house: (the most popular) Do It Yourself (DIY), Do It The Way I Want It, and Do It For Me. And it’s ok; there’s no judgement of anyone who falls under any of these categories! When it comes to garage doors, there are repairs that easily fall under DIY; however, there are some that are most definitely Do It For Me. (Please note, though, that there are also 3 levels of DIY’ers: Beginners, Confident and Very Confident, based on your experience and knowledge of both tools and garage door parts. Please know which level of DIY’er you are before tackling any repairs.
- Tighten and inspect all hardware (hinges, brackets, etc).
- Lubricating with lithium/silicone.
- Clean and test infrared safety sensors
- Replacing stiles, struts, weather strips, and perimeter seals
- Replacing lightbulbs and batteries for opener, remotes, keypads
“Do It The Way I Want It” repairs:
- I’m moving soon and just need a basic repair
- I’ll be purchasing a new door and/or opener very soon and just need a “band-aid” or temporary fix
“Do It For Me”, the most important category and the most “dangerous” repairs for non-professionals:
- Changing out broken springs
- Replacing cables and drums
- Replacing/repairing garage door tracks and top bracing
- Replacing top or bottom corner brackets
- Replacing garage door panels
(NOTE: These repairs should ONLY be performed by trained professionals.)
No matter the “category” you fall under, Plano Overhead Garage Door is always willing to assist with ANY of your garage door and opener needs. Please contact us today to schedule a same-day service or on a day of your convenience.